Lamb Ribs – I know it is not bacon!

I came across this post that I wrote for Code 3 Spices tonight.  I love lamb, and I love lamb ribs so I thought I’d pass along this recipe, even thought it ain’t bacon…. but mind you that I wll be doing lamb bacon before too long.

Check it out.  For those of you who long to grill and/or smoke meat this is a great article with a couple of my recipes for smoked lamb ribs.

Where do you get lamb ribs you might ask?  I always get mine from Frandeka’s Meat Market in Soulard Market.

Oh, and while you are at it, take a look at the rubs and spices offered by Code 3 Spices.  I use them ALL the time AND you can feel good about buying them because part of the purchase always goes to a great cause.

Anywho….  here is a link to the article.  Lamb Ribs 2 Ways

Advertisements

Chocolate Heaven – Recipe #3

Well, 86% said you want to try it and the other 14% said that, yes, I should make it.  So, I did.  I mixed up the cure and and got the pork belly a curin’. (I’ll update this post again next week once it is finished curing).

INGREDIENTS

Chocolate Heaven

Cured with cocoa, coffee and molasses this is sure to be a salty sweet slice of crunchy heaven.

Ingredients (per 5 lbs of pork belly)

4 T Sea Salt

1/2 C packed brown sugar

2 T Dark Molasses

1 tsp Cure #1 (pink salt)

2 T dark cocoa powder

2 tsp dark roast coffee grounds

PROCESS

I am just going to post the pics with descriptions.  After all, a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

Gather together all of the ingredients you and tools you need.
Gather together all of the ingredients you and tools you need.
Start by adding the brown sugar and molasses to a mixing bowl.
Start by adding the brown sugar and molasses to a mixing bowl.
Mix the sugar and molasses together into a paste.
Mix the sugar and molasses together into a paste.
Add all other ingredients, minus the curing salt.  REMEMBER - if you want to taste the cure, do it BEFORE you add the curing agent.
Add all other ingredients, minus the curing salt. REMEMBER – if you want to taste the cure, do it BEFORE you add the curing agent.
After mixing together all other ingredients (and tasting if you are going to do so) add the pink salt/ cure #1.  Since I am making enough cure for 5 lbs of belly, I followed the instructions and added one level teaspoon.
After mixing together all other ingredients (and tasting if you are going to do so) add the pink salt/ cure #1. Since I am making enough cure for 5 lbs of belly, I followed the instructions and added one level teaspoon.
This is the package of cure #1/ pink salt.  Please remember to store it away from other spices and away from children and pets.
This is the package of cure #1/ pink salt. Please remember to store it away from other spices and away from children and pets.
Now for a bit of math.  AAAHHH - NOOOOOO!!!   Yes.  Since I am not curing 5 lbs, I need to figure out how much cure to use. In this case, I am curing 1.5 lbs of pork belly.
Now for a bit of math. AAAHHH – NOOOOOO!!! Yes. Since I am not curing 5 lbs, I need to figure out how much cure to use.
In this case, I am curing 1.5 lbs of pork belly.
After calibrating the scale for the weight of the bowl, I weight the cure.  8 oz.
After calibrating the scale for the weight of the bowl, I weight the cure. 8 oz.
Since I am only using 1.5 pounds out of 5 lbs, I divide 1.5 by 5. 1.5 / 5 = .3 or 30% I need 30% of the cure used for 5 lbs of belly. 8 oz x 30% = 2.4 oz So, I measure out 2.4 oz of the cure.
Since I am only using 1.5 pounds out of 5 lbs, I divide 1.5 by 5.
1.5 / 5 = .3 or 30%
I need 30% of the cure used for 5 lbs of belly.
8 oz x 30% = 2.4 oz
So, I measure out 2.4 oz of the cure.  (store the remaining cure in an air tight container for later use)
Rub the 2.4 oz of cure into the meat.  be sure to cover all sides and edges of the meat well.
Rub the 2.4 oz of cure into the meat. be sure to cover all sides and edges of the meat well.
Place the pork belly and the remaining cure into a 1 gallon zip-lock bag and place in the fridge for 7 to 10 days.  Remember to turn the bag over every day or so.
Place the pork belly and the remaining cure into a 1 gallon zip-lock bag and place in the fridge for 7 to 10 days. Remember to turn the bag over every day or so.

Once the belly is finished curing, I plan on rinsing the cure from the belly really well.  Then, I am going to apply a second cure to the belly.  It will be a mix of just cocoa powder and sugar.  I will leave that for one more day before smoking in an effort to give it a darker chocolate taste.

I will update the next steps next week.  Stay tuned.